Some random food stuff...
Over the weekend, I did quite a bit of cooking - as usual. Went over to Linden to cook dinner. Didn't get to take any photos because I was too distracted by the hypersensitive fire alarm going off. I kid you not. We actually wrapped a towel around the smoke detector - and the blasted thing still went off even when nothing was burning. @#$%!!!
Anyway, with night temperatures consistently dipping zero degrees over the past week, I've been having cravings for hot soupy food. Hence, I made some herbal ginseng soup (ingredients courtesy of mum) and some pimped-up instant noodles. Also had the usual strip steak (its one of the cheapest cuts of meat around here) and today, I was inspired to try a variant of aglio olio.
Ginseng Herbal Soup:
1. Open herb-mix bought from chinese shop
2. Follow instructions on packet
3. Enjoy soup
I like using a slow cooker cause I can leave it to cook without worrying about the soup drying out. 2 hours on high. Or overnight on low. Good for colds - if you're thinking of chasing some skirts this exam season - this is good stuff. Turn up at the doorstep of the love of your life with this delicious and nutritious soup and I think you'll have one foot in the door. But be careful, if the girl doesn't like you... Hot Soup + Your Face = Not Good.
Pan-fried Strip Steak:
1. Season steak with salt, pepper, sesame oil
2. Dust steak with some flour(or corn starch)
3. Heat oil in pan
4. Throw in sprigs of rosemary & garlic cloves
5. Fry rosemary and garlic till they colour
6. Fry your steak, turning over once it's brown
7. Serve with boiled broccoli
This whole thing takes about 10 min especially since the strip steak is so thin. Corn starch helps the steak to brown better. No colour = no flavour. Rosemary and garlic flavours oil to add a little more kick to your steak.
1. Pan-fry 1 garlic clove and dried shrimp
2. Sear meat seasoned with salt/pepper/sesame oil
3. Add in hot water (cold if you're too lazy)
4. Add in MSG-laden soup base
5. Add in carrots & broccoli
6. Boil the shit out of it
7. Cook noodles to desired consistency
8. Enjoy
I've never enjoyed having instant noodles plain. I'll always try to at least add an egg. But maybe that's why I'm so fat. Haha.
1. Mince garlic cloves (I used about 6)
2. Roughly chop up so button mushrooms
3. Boil Pasta (remember to salt the water)
4. Mix garlic, mushroom, olive oil, salt, pepper
5. Dip Thyme springs in boiling pasta water
6. Pluck out thyme leaves into garlic mix
7. Transfer pasta into the garlic mix
8. Add a few tablespoons of pasta water
9. Toss the pasta
10. Enjoy
This recipe requires little cooking. Only the pasta is cooked. You can prepare all the ingredients whilst the pasta is boiling - so it really only takes 10-15min. It's quick, easy, delicious. Oh and very very healthy. Dipping herbs into hot boiling water helps to release some of the oils, which increases the intensity of its flavour. =) Hmmm.. it actually looks like bak chor mee pok. Heh..
Time to start studying for my three midterms this week. I'm toast.

<< Home